The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 24, 2011, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Verbal Interference (FED)

Saw an interesting call over the weekend (I was not working this game). Bottom of 6th, bases loaded, home team down by 1 with 2 outs. Pop up straight behind home plate (about 60 feet of foul territory behind home plate). Catcher is running back toward backstop to try to field ball. There is a bench about 3 feet behind backstop. Lady is sitting there not really paying attention (texting or something), looks up and sees catcher bearing down on her and screams. Catcher alligator arms the catch and drops the pop up. PU calls verbal interference on the fan and signals the batter out. Fans go nuts. Lady (who actually was there supporting the catcher's team) never even realizes that the umpire called the batter out because of her. Home fans don't know what the umpire called at first, then get upset because the lady was not even their fan. I have never seen verbal interference called on a fan, although the wording of spectator interference rule in FED does not seem to exclude verbal interference. Certainly not a call I would make. Home team goes on to lose by 1 run. That lady still doesn't know that she was called for the interference. Opinions??
Old Sun Apr 24, 2011, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonpitcher View Post
Saw an interesting call over the weekend (I was not working this game). Bottom of 6th, bases loaded, home team down by 1 with 2 outs. Pop up straight behind home plate (about 60 feet of foul territory behind home plate). Catcher is running back toward backstop to try to field ball. There is a bench about 3 feet behind backstop. Lady is sitting there not really paying attention (texting or something), looks up and sees catcher bearing down on her and screams. Catcher alligator arms the catch and drops the pop up. PU calls verbal interference on the fan and signals the batter out. Fans go nuts. Lady (who actually was there supporting the catcher's team) never even realizes that the umpire called the batter out because of her. Home fans don't know what the umpire called at first, then get upset because the lady was not even their fan. I have never seen verbal interference called on a fan, although the wording of spectator interference rule in FED does not seem to exclude verbal interference. Certainly not a call I would make. Home team goes on to lose by 1 run. That lady still doesn't know that she was called for the interference. Opinions??

I would call nothing. I don't see interference from a fan other than spectator interference.

Umpire must have been calling a game "over his head". Was this a HS game? You said FED.

Players that shave should be able to make that play no matter what someone is yelling etc.,

Thanks
David
Old Sun Apr 24, 2011, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
I would call nothing. I don't see interference from a fan other than spectator interference.

Umpire must have been calling a game "over his head". Was this a HS game? You said FED.

Players that shave should be able to make that play no matter what someone is yelling etc.,

Thanks
David
8th Grade game actually. And even then, he was calling at a level "over his head". The spectator interference rule just says an act that impedes the progress of the game (not specifying physical or verbal).
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't claim that verbal spectator interference is impossible in FED, but I don't think that was it.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

It was a while ago, but I recall a story about a fan who pointed a laser at players and hindered the game. Apparently the stories of people who point lasers at pilots resonated with a spectator or two. Air horns have been banned at a number of places around here due to 'fans' who blast them during important at bats, etc.
Old Mon Apr 25, 2011, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
I wouldn't claim that verbal spectator interference is impossible in FED, but I don't think that was it.
I think I would go there. Fans don't exist 99% of the time but never verbal FI.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 06:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I think I would go there. Fans don't exist 99% of the time but never verbal FI.
The FED definition of spectator interference does not rule out the possibility of verbal interference. Since FED explicitly includes verbal interference and obstruction for the players, I wouldn't be surprised if verbal spectator interference were also a legitimate category.

I agree that it would have to be something extraordinary -- beyond 99%.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 06:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The FED definition of spectator interference does not rule out the possibility of verbal interference. Since FED explicitly includes verbal interference and obstruction for the players, I wouldn't be surprised if verbal spectator interference were also a legitimate category.
One could also argue that with as explicit as they tend to be, the fact it is not mentioned is just as telling.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 12:10pm
In Time Out

Announcer positioned behind home plate, about 10m, on a PA system, speakers aimed at the plate. He decided it would be kewl to call out "Batta, batta, batta saaaaaawing" on every pitch. I warned him twice then called VINT EJ the HC who refused to do anything. Later found out it was his idea.

Kindly park supervisor came and pulled the juice which ended the whole, sordid affair.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 12:13pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
It was a while ago, but I recall a story about a fan who pointed a laser at players and hindered the game. Apparently the stories of people who point lasers at pilots resonated with a spectator or two. Air horns have been banned at a number of places around here due to 'fans' who blast them during important at bats, etc.
Saw this one. Man sitting in bleachers with shirt off wearing some kind of oversized medallion. Shiny, reflective, found the batter's eye and the F2s. BU called a VINT, have no idea why and no one complained.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

What is "verbal" about shining a light?!?!?!

Fan interference, yeah, sure.

Verbal? Don't think so.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post

Verbal? Don't think so.
Maybe he meant "Visual"
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 03:14pm
In Time Out

STB="Saw this one. Man sitting in bleachers with shirt off wearing some kind of oversized medallion. Shiny, reflective, found the batter's eye and the F2s. BU called a VINT, have no idea why and no one complained.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post

Verbal? Don't think so.
If I see BU again, I will be sure to ask him for you.
Old Tue Apr 26, 2011, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I agree that it would have to be something extraordinary -- beyond 99%.
I am not calling fan interference unless someone reaches over a fence and interferes with a player trying to field a ball near the fence and I have never seen that in a FED game.

Verbal fan interference is a big stretch, even for FED.
Old Wed Apr 27, 2011, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

I'm thinking the only way I call verbal int on a fan would have to involve an airhorn at very very close range.

West Houston Mike