The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to lilump03
Question

Okay I know this may already be a topic but I didnt feel like looking for it. So on an infield fly what are all the rules? Like are the runners allowed to advance to another base or bases? Or do they have to tag up like it was a pop fly to the outfield? Im sorry that Im asking a dumb question like this but I wanna get it strait. Thanks!
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

The runners may do anything on an infield fly that they're permitted to do on any other fly ball. The only difference is, that if the ball is not caught, they are not forced to advance. If they attempt to advance, they must be tagged.

Bob
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Just to add to B-Z's simple, yet correct explanation...

...remember that you should rule that a pop-up is an infield fly ONLY when that pop-up is routine and catchable close enough that an infielder can make a routine catch.

An outfielder may eventually catch the darn thing, but the key is that it's routine.
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

There is one difference. If a runner is on base and hit by the ball on an infield fly, he is not out as opposed to a regular hit where he is.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2002, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lilump03
Okay I know this may already be a topic but I didnt feel like looking for it.
This is why you'll always remain a lilump.
Old Sat Jun 15, 2002, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Take The Time To Look It Up First

Quote:
Originally posted by lilump03
Okay I know this may already be a topic but I didnt feel like looking for it. So on an infield fly what are all the rules? Like are the runners allowed to advance to another base or bases? Or do they have to tag up like it was a pop fly to the outfield? Im sorry that Im asking a dumb question like this but I wanna get it strait. Thanks!
I notice that this was your very first post. That takes a bit of initiative. Most umpires never visit umpire Internet sites. Many who do will not take the time to post. They are the "lurkers". However, if you want to be perceived as an official who really cares about the rules, the game, and improving your officiating talents you will do so by avoiding posts that simply ask questions you could look up in almost any rulebook. If after you have done so you want added comments or views than tell us what you've got and we'll give out two cents. For example with the Infield Fly rule be aware of the level of the players in deciding what is ordinary effort. Take into consideration if the infield is playing in. In a two-man system either umpire can make the call but some suggest if the BU turns his back to the plate then he makes the call first and the PU echoes it. When near the foul line remember to add "..If fair" to "Infield fly, batter's out..." Jim/NYC
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Re: Take The Time To Look It Up First

Originally posted by Ump20

I notice that this was your very first post. That takes a bit of initiative. Most umpires never visit umpire Internet sites. Many who do will not take the time to post. They are the "lurkers". However, if you want to be perceived as an official who really cares about the rules, the game, and improving your officiating talents you will do so by avoiding posts that simply ask questions you could look up in almost any rulebook. If after you have done so you want added comments or views than tell us what you've got and we'll give out two cents.

Jim excellent point. Many first time starters say they are sometimes intimidated by internet Boards because umpires will be abrupt or call them stupid etc. when this is not the truth. As you said, all we ask is that at least the person take the time to open up the rule book and then if one needs clarification we will gladly do so.

To me it's no different than being in school. When we were given a homework assignment and the next day asked a question which was contained in the assignment, the teacher would give us that stern look and say "See me after class".

I realize the rule-book is not like reading Dickens but nontheless as a start, one should at least read the defintion section as a pre-requisite.

Pete Booth