The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I was working bases and after calling a "safe" on a pickoff, there was some minor grumbling. Between innings instead of heading for the outfield, I head for the only shade near home plate. (Shoot me, it was hot!) PU asks if I want some friendly advice. (Can I say "no"?) He tells me that on a close play I need to sell the call to avoid any controversy.

I could never avoid controversy because I am making controversial decisions all game. Should I also "sell" balls and strikes on borderline pitches.

I have 2 types of call. One that I use for obvious calls, like a batter swings through a pitch, or a runner is out by 3 steps. A barely audible call with a hand signal. The second is a simple loud and clear word with hand signal. "Safe", "Out", "Foul".

Do umpires need to sell calls?
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

The objective is sound/appear decisive. A sharp, decisive looking/sounding call tells the teams & fans you are sure of the call. A weak, tentative call says you're not sure, and will invite (additional) grumbling.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

I thought about this a little bit and decided that I tend to make close calls louder, more clearly and with more body english than routine calls. While not a conscious attempt to sell the call, I think that it does serve the purpose of making coaches and fans think before challenging it. After all, I'm the closest one to it, and if I am THAT sure then maybe he was out/safe after all? There will be exceptions of course but I think there is some value to it.

BTW - Yes you can tell him you are not interested in his opinion, but it might make for a difficult dynamic the next time you have to work together. LOL
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by joemoore

I was working bases and after calling a "safe" on a pickoff, there was some minor grumbling. Between innings instead of heading for the outfield, I head for the only shade near home plate. (Shoot me, it was hot!) PU asks if I want some friendly advice. (Can I say "no"?) He tells me that on a close play I need to sell the call to avoid any controversy.

I could never avoid controversy because I am making controversial decisions all game. Should I also "sell" balls and strikes on borderline pitches.

I have 2 types of call. One that I use for obvious calls, like a batter swings through a pitch, or a runner is out by 3 steps. A barely audible call with a hand signal. The second is a simple loud and clear word with hand signal. "Safe", "Out", "Foul".

Do umpires need to sell calls?

If you go to a clinic, they go over safes / outs on the bases. On routine plays, simply signal, however, on those bangers they teach the BU to step towards the base with the fist and give the emphatic HE / SHE'S OUT.

As Rich stated, you will get less grief (not NO grief), when you show that you are confident in your call. Also, if you can add more information - add it.

Example, the pulled foot at first. In addition to saying HE's SAFE we also give that sweeping motion. By doing this we save the time to explain our call. Also, on a tag at first, the taught mechanic is to point at the runner with your left hand and say HE'S OUT ON THE TAG! - Again more information to save you some grief.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Dont think of it as selling your calls (Im mean you are the umpire and have the final say), think of it as letting everyone know "YOU, ARE the umpire and the best dang one they have seen". Hey, Im good, arrogant, confident and proud of it.

Now one second latter you may have to be cool, calm, collective and approachable. Thats the fine line a good official always. walks.

Good luck

Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Thumbs up lesson learned

A couple of months ago I started a thread on this same subject. The general consensus was that on close plays sell the call, a loud emphatic He's out! or He's safe! will go along way towards eliminating a good chunk of the dugout whiners.

I have incorporated this into my calling and this happened last night. Bottom of the inning, no outs, no runners. Leadoff batter hits a shot in the left field gap to the fence. BR attempts for a triple. F8 fields the ball at the fence and makes a throw to F5 that should have been on ESPN. F5 lunges and makes a tag, while BR is sliding into 3rd. BR out by 12 inches. I give a "He got him, He's out!". Both sets of coaches tell me after the game, that they thought I made a heck of a call. I expected it from the defense. I expected an earful from the offense. Good sell on a close call = no headache for me.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass