The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 01, 2008, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Yankees-Jays (batter hit on strikeout)

In yesterday's (Sunday) ballgame, Jays pitcher Roy Halladay struck out a Yankee (I can't remember who) and he was hit in the foot with the pitch. R1 and R2 both advanced on the play and the batter was called out. (There was one out).

I was expecting the umpires to discuss the play and send the runners back. They didn't. Jays manager Cito Gaston came out to talk to the HP umpire but the discussion was brief and Gaston was not overly upset. The idiot announcers (Jays broadcast) discussed it. One said:"Is the ball dead when it hits the batter?" The other said:"No the runners can advance at their own risk"

I'm wondering if the umpires blew the call or if the HP umpire never saw the ball hit the batter's foot and just called strike three and a wild pitch. Did anyone see this play and have any thoughts. Am I missing something here?
Old Mon Sep 01, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

I did not see the game (I am a Jays fan but was on the field working an Atlantics Championship final). Sounds like they missed the foot being hit. The correct call would be third strike (if he offered at the ball) with a dead ball on the HBP no advance of runners.
Old Mon Sep 01, 2008, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Runners return to base at TOP would be the phrasing...
Old Mon Sep 01, 2008, 06:21pm
Official Forum Member

I saw the play and was going to post about it, but I figured that the umpire had simply thought the pitch had bounced off the catcher, even though the announcers recognized, and the replay showed, that the pitch had hit the batter.

So it was just a missed call, not a rule misinterpretation.

I have to give the Yankee announcers credit for knowing that (1) the ball is dead when a pitch hits the batter, even if he swings, and (2) even when a runner on 1B is stealing on the pitch, 1B is considered "occupied." I know that's not exactly impressive, but for announcers, I'd say it's above-average knowledge.
Old Tue Sep 02, 2008, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
I saw the play and was going to post about it, but I figured that the umpire had simply thought the pitch had bounced off the catcher, even though the announcers recognized, and the replay showed, that the pitch had hit the batter.

So it was just a missed call, not a rule misinterpretation.

I have to give the Yankee announcers credit for knowing that (1) the ball is dead when a pitch hits the batter, even if he swings, and (2) even when a runner on 1B is stealing on the pitch, 1B is considered "occupied." I know that's not exactly impressive, but for announcers, I'd say it's above-average knowledge.
Above average? It's a bloomin' MIRACLE.

Bob