The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 08, 2002, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

What is the proper way to fit your chest protector. I am new at umpiring and need some help with equipment fitting. Does the chest protector go to your belt. Or does it just cover half way down? Thanks for any information you have..
What is the proper length for a chest protector. I purchased a west vest and when I put it on it only goes to the middle of my stomach, is this the proper fit?

[Edited by klp3515 on Mar 8th, 2002 at 01:13 PM]
Old Fri Mar 08, 2002, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by klp3515
What is the proper way to for your chest protector to fit. I am new at umpiring and need some help with equipment fitting. Does the chest protector go to your belt. Or does it just cover half way down? Thanks for any information you have..
It goes up snugly against the neck. The straps in back will (probably) need to be shortened. The "Y" part that goes over your head should be just large enough to get your head through -- it should pull on your ears (a little) as you put the protector on and tak it off.

The stem part of the "Y" should be short so the waist strap pulls the protector down in back -- and, thus, up in front -- to keep the protector high enough.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2002, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by klp3515
What is the proper length for a chest protector. I purchased a west vest and when I put it on it only goes to the middle of my stomach, is this the proper fit?

[Edited by klp3515 on Mar 8th, 2002 at 01:13 PM]
In addition to what Bob has told you, it should cover you to the bottom of your rib cage.
Old Fri Mar 08, 2002, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Shoulder Protection

Bob's point about making sure the chest protector stays high enough is very important. My first chest protector (probably did not adjust the straps) protected my chest(ribs and stomach) but I took a couple of shots on the top of the shoulders.

If you get a West Vest, your stomach will be exposed. The good news is that means it is cooler. The bad news you could take a shot to the stomach.
Old Sat Mar 09, 2002, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Vest sizing

I honestly don't know how people get hit in the gut. I've been doing this a few years (understatement) and have never taken a pitch or a foul to the gut.

I wear the WV Gold and would like it to be even another inch shorter than it is (I'm 6'1", so don't think it's because of my small stature). As long as I get good chest and shoulder and throat protection, I'm pleased.
Old Sat Mar 09, 2002, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

I honestly don't know how people get hit in the gut. I've been doing this a few years (understatement) and have never taken a pitch or a foul to the gut.

Easy. Use the slot with a lousy catcher who moves to the outside corner at the last second even though the pitcher throws tight inside. When the batter fouls it off the handle and the catcher can't reach it, it can hit your gut very nicely and quickly. It smarts, but it isn't dangerous like a shot to the chest or collar bone.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2002, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Jim:
But, did you "rub" it!?!?!?
Old Tue Mar 26, 2002, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

west vest gear is great! i would suggest buying it from either lesters or honings! but, most don't go to the stomach.