The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Trivial Trivia-Umpire's Edition (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/35975-trivial-trivia-umpires-edition.html)

Bassman Mon Jun 25, 2007 09:09pm

Trivial Trivia-Umpire's Edition

OK gang, the idea is simple. A question will be asked, relating to umpires, and there will be a 24 hour window to correctly answer the question. If the question is answered correctly, the poster who answered the question will have the right to ask the next question. If however, the question is answered incorrectly, or the poster answers his own question, then the right to ask the next question will remain with the OP.

Confused yet??? :D:D:D:D

OK I'll start. In game three of the 1975 World Series between the BoSox and the Big Red Machine, Ed Armbrister laid a sac bunt and collided with Reds catcher Carlton Fisk who made an error on the throw that cost the Reds game three. The HP umpire ruled the contact incidental, so no interference was applied. Who was that HP umpire?

GarthB Mon Jun 25, 2007 09:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassman
OK gang, the idea is simple. A question will be asked, relating to umpires, and there will be a 24 hour window to correctly answer the question. If the question is answered correctly, the poster who answered the question will have the right to ask the next question. If however, the question is answered incorrectly, or the poster answers his own question, then the right to ask the next question will remain with the OP.

Confused yet??? :D:D:D:D

OK I'll start. In game three of the 1975 World Series between the BoSox and the Big Red Machine, Ed Armbrister laid a sac bunt and collided with Reds catcher Carlton Fisk who made an error on the throw that cost the Reds game three. The HP umpire ruled the contact incidental, so no interference was applied. Who was that HP umpire?

Ken Burkhart

Bassman Mon Jun 25, 2007 09:32pm

<buzzz> WRONG!!!! Larry Barnett.

OK next question-
Which AL umpire, known for his flamboyancy, was also a mortal enemy of Baltimore Orioles manager Earl Weaver?

<interesting tidbit> This same umpire booted Weaver out of both ends of a double dip.

Tim C Mon Jun 25, 2007 09:38pm

The Coward

Ron Luciano

Bassman Mon Jun 25, 2007 09:40pm

Give the man a Ceee-gar. OK Tim, the next question is yours.

Tim C Mon Jun 25, 2007 09:42pm

Ok,

Who was the plate umpire the night that Hank Aaron broke Babe Ruth's Career Home Run record? . . . I will accept only the correct answer.

Regards,

Bassman Mon Jun 25, 2007 09:46pm

Could that be Mr. Bruce Neal Froemming??

Tim C Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:07pm

Ah,

No not close.

Regards,

Bassman Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:20pm

I'll try one more time:

Would that be Doug Harvey?

(If I bomb, you can give the answer, then the right to ask the next question is your, Tim)

TussAgee11 Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:28pm

Tim C -

David Davidson

Publius Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bassman
<buzzz> WRONG!!!! Larry Barnett.

OK next question-
Which AL umpire, known for his flamboyancy, was also a mortal enemy of Baltimore Orioles manager Earl Weaver?

<interesting tidbit> This same umpire booted Weaver out of both ends of a double dip.

GarthB knew the correct answer. He was just following rule #1.

Tim C Tue Jun 26, 2007 07:47am

Hmm,

I asked this question for two reasons:

1) A famous deceased umpire's obit say he worked the plate. He did not, he worked second base that tnight.

2) I wanted to see who would goggle the answer. No one has ever called Mr. Davidson "David" -- he was known as "Satch" from the days of being a little boy.

Regards,

D-Man Tue Jun 26, 2007 08:18am

The box score I found lists him as Satch.

My man, Billy Buckner, was playing first base for the Dodgers.

D

ozzy6900 Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Man
The box score I found lists him as Satch.

My man, Billy Buckner, was playing first base for the Dodgers.

D

Who's Bill Buckner???? :D :D :D

Asked by a life long Boston Fan!

GarthB Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Who's Bill Buckner???? :D :D :D

Asked by a life long Boston Fan!

Only the greatest clutch player in the history of the Mets.