The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Throwing to a base

Does the rule apply only to first base (FED rules) that the F3 must be holding the runner on the bag to receive a pick off throw? Provided 3B is occupied, is it a balk to throw to F5 who is off the bag?
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Again,

The rule (under all codes) applies only to first base.

Regards,
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
Does the rule apply only to first base (FED rules) that the F3 must be holding the runner on the bag to receive a pick off throw? Provided 3B is occupied, is it a balk to throw to F5 who is off the bag?

First base is the only base a pitcher must complete the throw to from the rubber without balking. I'm sure you already knew that. That means that he doesn't have to complete the throw at all to second or third from the rubber as long as he steps ahead of the feint; etc.

At first base the fielder must be near enough to the bag that he has a legitimate opportunity to retire the runner. Of course this leaves the call all up to your judgment as to whether or not F3 has a legitimate play on R1.

Tim.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
To answer your question, The fielder receiving the pick off throw from the pitcher must be within reach of the occupied base for the throw NOT to be a balk.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Thank you for the help and clarification! Does the same rule apply to OBR? I worked with a very experienced umpire from our association. He called a balk on a picther for throwing to F4, who was moving toward 2B (occupied), but about four feet away. We were playing OBR.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrodb
To answer your question, The fielder receiving the pick off throw from the pitcher must be within reach of the occupied base for the throw NOT to be a balk.
Same answer for OBR.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 12:10pm

Quote:
This is false. The fielder must be able to make a play on the runner, and it only applies at first base. There is no requirement to be in reach of the base itself.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Same answer for OBR.
ONLY AT FIRST BASE!

At other bases you can throw to the fielder, even if he isn't close to the base.

MLBUM 7.5

(b) There is no violation if a pitcher attempts a pick-off at second base and, seeing no fielder covering the bag, throws to the shortstop or second baseman, neither of whom is in the vicinity of the bag nor is making an actual attempt to retire the runner.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Holy Cow!

This sitch is not a third world play or extremely rare. It is clearly defined in the rule books and in numerous case books. Maybe I'm being a grouch, but to me it's lazy for someone not to take the time to study the rules before asking a question.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Wow!

"The fielder receiving the pick off throw from the pitcher must be within reach of the occupied base for the throw NOT to be a balk."

I am sure you mean ONLY at first base.

There are no "fielder placement" at any other base.

Regards,

Hey SDS, I DIDN'T SAY IT!
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
This sitch is not a third world play or extremely rare. It is clearly defined in the rule books and in numerous case books. Maybe I'm being a grouch, but to me it's lazy for someone not to take the time to study the rules before asking a question.
It's not so clear in the rule book, you have to own an interp manual to look it up.

It happens every year, this year I saw it once and heard about it once. Once in a game I was PU, neither my partner or I called a balk and I had to explain it to a 35+ year varsity high school coach. He said "I didn't know that.". Fortunately, the play was discussed in a pre-season clinic and my partner remembered it and did not call the balk.

The other time I was listening to a D-1 game on the radio. A throw over to 3B was called a balk with R3. The call was not made initially, but only after the HC from the 3B box called out "that's a balk". The other D-1 coach did not come out to argue so the run was allowed to score. The announcers, bless their heart, could not explain what happened for a balk to be called. I heard about it later, that the reason was the throw over to F5 who was off the bag. The run had no bearing on the outcome of the game. I know the guys working that game will never make that mistake again because I heard about it from a D-1 evaluator who was at the game.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen: (NJD and RenRod)

Buy the Jim Evans DVD on Pitching Regulations and Balks. It will open up your mind immensely.

http://www.umpireacademy.com/store/
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

"It happens every year, this year I saw it once and heard about it once. Once in a game I was PU, neither my partner or I called a balk and I had to explain it to a 35+ year varsity high school coach. He said "I didn't know that.". Fortunately, the play was discussed in a pre-season clinic and my partner remembered it and did not call the balk."

I in fact saw it today, well I heard it happened today, I didn't see it.
But the umpire that called it, told me.

Experienced umpire, many years of FP and SP. Third year of BB.

Came to the pre-season clinics, watched Evans video.

He simply forgot, balked R2 to 3rd, when F1 turned and threw to F6 15' from
2nd

A couple of innings later I stroll up to watch the game, I'm up next and the UIC for the tourny.

He say's "hey, is it a balk?.. and runs through what happened.

I say "no".

He kinda pales a bit, as his memory suddenly kicked out the info.

I asked why his partner didn't correct it? He didn't know why, he'd called the balk.. Defensive coach came out, umpire told him why, coach turns and trots on back to the dugout.

So, sorry to say, there's two more teams out there thinking "it's a balk", and will be ready for the next umpire..uhhh!

The silver lining, no effect on the game, and there is one more umpire that'll never muck it up again.
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 09:48pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56

At first base the fielder must be near enough to the bag that he has a legitimate opportunity to retire the runner. Of course this leaves the call all up to your judgment as to whether or not F3 has a legitimate play on R1.

Tim.
By your logic, then a pick off thrown ahead of R1 (to the 2B side of R1) is a balk. Wait, no, F3 has a legitimate play on R1, no balk. No, that can't be, F3 is dove back to first; no, wait, yada yada yada
Old Sun Jul 08, 2007, 09:52pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Holy Cow!

Who says he didn't Grouch? Maybe part of the reason anyone posts here regardless of insensitive tirades such as yours is to enjoy talking about umpiring.

Personally, lazy is defined to the ultimate by those who make replies and don't quote the source post. YMSurelyDiffers.