The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

"Rules Myths" questions

In researching for the document I write out every year for local summer league coaches, I came across this explanation in regarding the myth about a player catching a fly ball and falling over the fence being a homerun:

"As long as the fielder is not touching the ground in dead ball territory when he catches the ball, it is a legal catch if he holds onto the ball and meets the definition of a catch. If the catch is not the third out and the fielder falls down in dead ball territory after catching the ball, all runners are awarded one base. If the fielder remains on his feet in dead ball territory after the catch, the ball is alive and he may make a play. (Except FED in which case the ball is dead and 1 base is awarded.)"

It's the part about the fielder remaining on his feet in dead ball territory being able to make a play that I'm questioning. Is there a resource verifying this? I might add that this explanation was taken from a site supporting PONY league, but I'm interested if this is the official OBR interpretation.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 01:30pm

This is the new wording of this rule, which was changed last year:

6.05 A batter is out when—
(a) His fair or foul fly ball (other than a foul tip) is legally caught by a fielder;

Rule 6.05(a) Comment: A fielder may reach into, but not step into, a dugout to make a catch, and if he holds the ball, the catch shall be allowed. A fielder, in order to make a catch on a foul ball nearing a dugout or other out-of-play area (such as the stands), must have one or both feet on or over the playing surface (including the lip of the dugout) and neither foot on the ground inside the dugout or in any other out-of-play area. Ball is in play, unless the fielder, after making a legal catch, falls into a dugout or other out-of-play area, in which case the ball is dead. Status of runners shall be as described in Rule 7.04(c) Comment.

The following is a deleted section of the rule, and is no longer applicable:

(Deleted) A fielder or catcher may reach or step into, or go into the dugout with one or both feet to make a catch, and if he holds the ball, the catch shall be allowed. Ball is in play.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

So, Steve, does this put it more in line with the FED rule, and are the runners on base awarded one base?
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 02:42pm

The only thing that was changed was not allowing a fielder to enter the dugout to make a catch. If the fielder can catch the ball with at least one foot on or over live ball territory, and with no foot in the out-of-play area, and remain standing on the other side, the ball is alive and in play.

If he falls into DBT, then the runners advance one base from their position at the time of the fielders' falling as described here:

Rule 7.04(c) Comment: If a fielder, after having made a legal catch, should fall into a stand or among spectators or into the dugout or any other out-of-play area while in possession of the ball after making a legal catch, or fall while in the dugout after making a legal catch, the ball is dead and each runner shall advance one base, without liability to be put out, from his last legally touched base at the time the fielder fell into, or in, such out-of-play area.

Bottom line: fall = dead ball / no fall = live ball.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 03:12pm
Stop staring at me swan.

so F8 makes a spectacular catch at the fence, then his momentum completely carries him over the fence out in center field. What is the call in FED?? OBR?? I think I'm confusing myself here...
Old Mon Apr 30, 2007, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
so F8 makes a spectacular catch at the fence, then his momentum completely carries him over the fence out in center field. What is the call in FED?? OBR?? I think I'm confusing myself here...
Out, runners awarded one base unless it was 3rd out.
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
FED: Out, award runners one base.

OBR: Out, ball remains live.
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Bob, in OBR, if the fielder's momentum takes him over a fence and he lands not on his feet, it's a dead ball 1-base award.
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Bob, in OBR, if the fielder's momentum takes him over a fence and he lands not on his feet, it's a dead ball 1-base award.
Correct. I assumed (yeah -- I know) that the runner landed on his feet, but johnnyg08 didn't specify this in his post.
Old Tue May 01, 2007, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

You DO know that assumption is the mother of all...
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

we had this discussion today.

(new rules) : a fielder catches the ball infront of the dugout, and his momentum carries him into the dugout.
is this a legal catch and the ball remains in play
or
is this catch and carry, 1 base award ?
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Provided he doesn't not fall down into the dugout or does not drop the ball in the dugout, it is a legal catch and live ball under OBR (you didn't specify which code to which you were referring).
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

OBR, thanks :-)
Old Tue Jan 08, 2008, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

ok, i just found this interpretation in the actual J/R manual. )