The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Why I only do baseball, not adult softball

Check this out and see if you all agree with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRfMe0cqpMs
Old Thu Mar 29, 2007, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

yeah this was posted a few weeks back.

entertaining none the less though
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:42am
Stop staring at me swan.

wow...yep...the guy who have never set foot on a baseball diamond, but yet think that the 12 inch ball coming in at 3 mph is the same as hitting an 85mph baseball...umpiring slow pitch softball in those types of leagues...not a chance...
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 10:58am
rei

Well, I have seen these same kinds of blowups in adult baseball games. So, the sport doesn't really matter. It is the alledged "adults" that are the same.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 11:00am
Stop staring at me swan.

i've seen them too...everybody thinks they're in the pros...good game management will not allow a bench clearning discussion around home plate...which I'm assuming would not happend in one of your games rei...which is a good thing.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

In men's SP, I've seen a hundred incidents worse than the one in the clip, and I'll see a couple more this year. This one was, in fact, routine: a bunch of hotheads charged the ump. But nobody threatened the umpire with a bat or shoved him, or even merely warned him that he would be waiting for him in the parking lot. Only a small percentage of games contain something like this, but there are a lot of games.

In baseball, not everything has been roses, but I've never had anything nearly as bad.

In baseball, incidents like these generally don't happen out of the blue. They do occur, but rarely and usually after frustration and arguments build to critical mass over time. The umpires often have the opportunity to "nip things in the bud." Further, you don't have all that much men's baseball today. The semipro leagues simply aren't around the way they used to be. So while high school and college players might have tempers and get out of line, you don't have 10 beefed-up drunks in your face in a school game. And with school games, you do have some adults who, you hope, will act like adults. In men's SP, the person in charge of the team is often a sponsor or perhaps another player without much control or authority over anyone. And unlike when I played, many participants drink before the game as well as after.

I learned never to take anything for granted in men's SP. A game that has been completely uneventful till the sixth inning can suddenly—because of a call, a collision, a remark, a perceived "dissing"—become an emergency situation. Of course, this can happen in any sport, but men's SP softball lies at the extreme. I've seen near-riots where some of the worst offenders were police officers. And there have been times when I was painfully aware, out on some lonely field late in the evening, that there are a dozen of them and one of me.

I've had SP games in which everybody is good natured most of the way, but then lightning strikes and we have threats, fights, thrown equipment, police, suspensions, even arrests and charges. Two years ago, teams arrived for a game and found the field cordoned off by police "crime scene" yellow tape. When I was a player back in the 1970s, a team sponsor, after one horrendous incident, complained (bragged?) to me that he had a "$100,000 infield." His first baseman was $20,000 bail, his second baseman was $30,000 bail, etc. (It was partially what they did at the game, partially violations of probation.) That guy had to watch all his team's games from the parking lot, as he had been suspended from the league for 5 years for slugging the recreation director at a preseason meeting.

It is also rather remarkable how little many SP players know about the rules. In fact, just about every myth we discuss on these boards is firmly entrenched as fact in the minds of many of these guys. I've had 30-year veterans of high-level ball tell me that the pitcher "balked." Another player was amazed to learn that the umpires got paid. He thought we were all volunteers.

I think if I had to assign a game like the one in the clip, I'd rather have a former professional wrestler with a rudimentary knowledge of the rules than a clinic-trained expert. I am not kidding when I say that I was once working the bases when the home plate ump put a stop to the arguing by informing both teams that the next guy who said anything—would be ejected?, no—would have to fight him. I could hardly believe my ears. But they did shut up.

(Remember, when I refer to SP, I'm talking about what people call the "beer" leagues, not official tournaments under ASA or other controlling organizations.)

Last edited by greymule; Fri Mar 30, 2007 at 12:38pm.
Old Fri Mar 30, 2007, 03:31pm
Stop staring at me swan.

yes...i too, mean beer leagues...
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

I agree with you 100% greymule. I had a game last year that took off just like that. Everything fine until bottom of 6 when the batter swings and fouls off a pitch. Partner on the plate points down to me and asks "Did he foul that off?" (That in itself is a whole other post) however I confirmed that yes he did. A couple of pitches later the batter walks in which ball four gets by the catcher and to the backstop and the batter takes off and rounds first and heads for second. During this time F4 yells out "You guys are ****** brutal we had him out twice" but wait he is not done. He takes the throw at 2nd in which the BR beat out and was safe. F4 now while play has yet to stop immedianley after seeing the BR called safe fires the ball into DBT while yelling "This is ****** bull****" I was going to toss F4 after the intial comment but had to hightail it out the BR's path. Once action is stopped F4 is ejected and the BR awarded home on the throw into DBT.

Needless to say 2 more ejections soon followed and the police eventually called and throughout all of this the player manager did absolutely nothing, except pay our association a $750 bond for the hassle.

F4 ended up getting a 27 game suspension in which he still has 20 games to serve, as well he has to put up a $500 bond against any further ejection.

This was adult baseball with mainly ex-college players.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I do both baseball, and adult softball, adult baseball isn't offered in my area.

I'll just add that regardless of the gender or ages these things can happen.

Seems the problem really stems from the lack of rules knowledge, the better players, coaches and umpires don't see these things near as much.

The lower the level of players and coaches unfotunetly see the less experienced umpires, this is a viscious circle. Many an aspiring umpires get ruined at these lower levels. Seems IMO associations would recognize this and make assignments with this in mind, troubled league or area, send your best to help educate and tame.
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

I also officiate spring HS baseball, plus early summer ball, then switch to SP due to warm temperatures, before football/ basketball seasons.
Having played SP for 25 yrs, and umping same for 6, what I see is the big difference is several things: the BIG #1)adult players easily bruised ego's combined with 2)the areas leagues here, that use 1 official per game. Add to that 3)the usual older age of umps which means they dont move as well as they did before= players complaints about lack of hustle on base calls, and 4) the occasional ump who takes abuse and doesnt nip it right away- lets players think they can do that and get away with it.
I cant tell you the # of times I showed for my 3-4 games (we are assigned to a certain diamond, then show up to see if its coed (oh no!) or mens) and was gladly asked to take the mens games due to the other umps problems with certain teams..
So, with the mentality of knowing the rules, believing that I've played more ball then 99% of them, loving what I do, plus getting paid to exercise---I anticipate throws/plays, hustle, make calls with authority, smile and have fun, and dont take any crap beyond the usual minor comments, and eject without 2nd thoughts.
What does that mean to me?- less complaints, no serious problems due to the "reputation", and I actually enjoy the games. Have I had those games that blow up?..yes, a couple, but then I've dealt with HS BB coaches that were irate also..goes with the profession territory, no?....
Old Sat Mar 31, 2007, 11:08pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike
The lower the level of players and coaches unfotunetly see the less experienced umpires, this is a viscious circle. Many an aspiring umpires get ruined at these lower levels. Seems IMO associations would recognize this and make assignments with this in mind, troubled league or area, send your best to help educate and tame.
Problem is, the best umps don't want these games! Period!!! It is usually pretty crappy baseball, and the complaining factor is SO high regardless of how good of a job you do!!!

I found that I can handle 18-30 year old's okay. 30-40 olds can kiss my butt! I won't umpire that age range! 40 and over is usually ok. They are usually too tired to play AND complain.