The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 12:52pm

Another kicked call by MLB umpire

Bruce Froemming just made a horrible call in the Yankees vs. Blue Jays game on ESPN.

Ground ball over 2nd base fielded by F6, who flipped to F4 who never caught the ball. Froemming called it way too quickly, like he usually does, and called the Yankee runner out as the ball is rolling away. Very poor timing. Torre came out, but of course the play stood.

Froemming should have waited a second longer (at least) and he would have seen the ball on the ground. I think he tried to sell it that it was a voluntary release, but F4 dropped the ball far too quickly to even possibly be considered as having control. But he never even caught it to begin with.

Before anyone asks what good does pointing out these bad calls do, I do it so we as amateur umpires remember not to call these plays too quickly, and to illustrate that even the pros make terrible calls.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 01:12pm

Same game, one of my former partners (albeit only a couple games) Brian Runge scored a run on a time play during a rundown between 2nd and 3rd. The tag was applied for out #3 on the runner in the rundown a good 2 to 3 steps before the runner from 3rd reached home plate. This one went in the Yankees favor, and the Jays skipper argued to no avail.

Wow, two in the same game. And it's only the 5th inning!
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Same game, one of my former partners (albeit only a couple games) Brian Runge scored a run on a time play during a rundown between 2nd and 3rd. The tag was applied for out #3 on the runner in the rundown a good 2 to 3 steps before the runner from 3rd reached home plate. This one went in the Yankees favor, and the Jays skipper argued to no avail.

Wow, two in the same game. And it's only the 5th inning!
I was wondering about that play. The replay I saw didn't show a split screen, so I didn't see it. 2 or 3 steps? Wow.
Old Wed Apr 19, 2006, 10:40pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruvian
I was wondering about that play. The replay I saw didn't show a split screen, so I didn't see it. 2 or 3 steps? Wow.
Yes, during the first at bat in the next inning, they did a split screen on it, and sorry to say, it wasn't even close. At least 2 steps being generous.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 12:30am
Official Forum Member

I watched the Rogers Sportsnet, Canadian Telecast of the game. Both umpires kicked both of their respective calls. Timing was the issue at second, and I don't know what the issue at the dish with Runge was, he just missed it. However very little argument from John Gibbons or any of the Jays for that matter.

Interesting side note, the color commentator, Pat Tabler, American, not that it matters, made a comment about how there is such a thing as a home park call, and that was his justification for the call Froemming made at second. He also went on to suggest that for the call on the time play at the plate, Runge might have taken into consideration the missed call against the Yankees at second by Froemming. I love commentators. LMAO.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

To take some positive out of this...

any time you've had a bad game, you can look at games like these and say to yourself "see, the pros miss 'em too sometimes."
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

I was at the game, and both calls were very obvious. I think the play at home was a bit of a revlon call, as the call at second cost the Yankees a run. This wasn't close at all. And Chubby at 2nd base was just plain HORRIBLE Timing. He had his hand up in a fist as the ball was in flight to the base. When the ball dropped, he pointed at the base, gave the out again, and showed a "on the Transfer" mechanic. It was bad.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 09:33am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3appleshigh
I was at the game, and both calls were very obvious. I think the play at home was a bit of a revlon call, as the call at second cost the Yankees a run. This wasn't close at all. And Chubby at 2nd base was just plain HORRIBLE Timing. He had his hand up in a fist as the ball was in flight to the base. When the ball dropped, he pointed at the base, gave the out again, and showed a "on the Transfer" mechanic. It was bad.
Do you really think Major League umpires employ makeup calls? Hell, 99.9% of amateur umpires are above that kind of dishonesty, why would anyone accuse a MLU of something like that?
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think the play at home was a bit of a revlon call

What's a revlon call?
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

It's a call made when the umpire is staring at a compact mirror putting on his Revlon lipstick instead of watching the play on the field. I've never made a Revlon call, but have made a few Avon's.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

That's a creative explanation, Husker, but I think 'Revlon' was simply used in place of the word 'makeup' in this case. That might be obvious to some, but others might have needed a little help.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 01:05pm

Quote:
Hey 3appleshigh, I don't think Froemming's nickname is Chubby, if i remember right. To us slender-challenged people, calling us names based on our weight is the equivalent to calling black people the "N" word. It isn't very nice, and it hurts people's feelings. I'm sure if I took a look at you, I could find some hateful nickname for you, and you wouldn't appreciate it very much. There is no justification for referring to someone by their physical appearance.

I got called to the carpet for using the term "retarded" in regard to a rule, for cryin' out loud. I was informed by several people on this forum that I was being insensitive toward the mentally handicapped, and that other terms should be used. And I was just referring to a rule, not an actual person.

Froemming didn't blow the call because of his weight, he blew it because of his poor timing. And last I knew, skinny people can have bad timing too.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

You actually need to have a clue who is talking and what they look like before commenting on how Slenderly challenged people feel. I'm 6'3" 301lbs. So if you think I'm skinny, I love you. I'm Chubby myself, and have no issue either way. But thanks for your imput.

The dude is Chubby, and I don't know his name, so he is "Chubby", ( in fact refering to him a chubby, might insult the chubby people the dude's rotund), I would expect no less from someone refering to me. Being PC sucks Crap. I will not become so to please you, or the other "retard's" on this forum. Thanks for the revealling story of how a word disrupts your day. Take a lesson from the Fags of the world, take ownership of the word, and you take away it's power. See Ya

Yours Truly

Chubby, Tubby, Fat a$$ ... 3appleshigh
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You actually need to have a clue who is talking and what they look like before commenting on how Slenderly challenged people feel. I'm 6'3" 301lbs. So if you think I'm skinny, I love you. I'm Chubby myself, and have no issue either way. But thanks for your imput.

The dude is Chubby, and I don't know his name, so he is "Chubby", ( in fact refering to him a chubby, might insult the chubby people the dude's rotund), I would expect no less from someone refering to me. Being PC sucks Crap. I will not become so to please you, or the other "retard's" on this forum. Thanks for the revealling story of how a word disrupts your day. Take a lesson from the Fags of the world, take ownership of the word, and you take away it's power. See Ya

Yours Truly

Chubby, Tubby, Fat a$$ ... 3appleshigh
By Baseball America Staff
April 20, 2006

• Double-A Arkansas shortstop Brandon Wood hit two homers, but was more focused on a foul-tip call in the ninth inning of the Travelers' 8-6 loss to Tulsa on Wednesday.

With a runner on second, Wood struck out to end the game on a pitch that he and Arkansas manager Ty Boykin argued was foul-tipped. Tulsa catcher Chris Ianetta dropped the ball, then tagged Wood and the game was over.

"Yeah, I foul-tipped it," Wood told the Arkansas Democrat Gazette.

Adding to that controversy was Wood's at-bat in the eighth, when Boykin--who was coaching third base--called for time to check if the white lettering on Tulsa reliever Josh Newman's glove was legal. The third-base umpire called time as Newman released the pitch, but the home-plate ump didn't acknowledge it.

The called strike was allowed to stand after the umpires conferred, even though the home plate umpire apparently told Wood otherwise.

"The thing that bothers me, which doesn't make any sense, the guy behind the plate tells Wood, 'That doesn't count.' Then he goes back up there and he goes, '0-1,' " Boykin told the paper.

"I'm not bashing anybody. If you make a mistake, you make a mistake and it's going to happen. But I just can't deal with calls that are made that there's no rational reason behind it."

Lost in all the debate was the performance of Tulsa first baseman Joe Koshansky, who went 4-for-4 with two homers and a pair of doubles. Koshansky, a sixth-round pick out of Virginia in 2004, is 8-for-17 (.470) in the series.

The two teams meet again tonight as the Drillers have a chance to sweep the five-game series.

• In other random replacement umpire complaints, the Colorado Springs Gazette ran a story today with some scathing comments from players:

"We're only two weeks in and you can see how frustrating it's getting already. The players' jobs are on the line, and we're dealing with some umpires who have trouble at this level."--Triple-A Tucson lefthander Randy Choate.

"We hold the players to a high standard. We have to hold the umpires to a high standard, too. Some of these calls they're missing are just obvious."--Triple-A Colorado Springs manager Tom Runnels.

"The integrity of the game is being compromised, all so minor league baseball can squeeze some nickels and dimes out of the umpires. Minor league baseball ought to be ashamed at the product they're putting on the field. If there are good-faith negotiations going on, I don't need to be commenting in the press because it wouldn't be productive. But I understand there are no negotiations, and that's not fair to us."--Tucson righthander Kevin Jarvis.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatballzlow
By Baseball America Staff
April 20, 2006

• Double-A Arkansas shortstop Brandon Wood hit two homers, but was more focused on a foul-tip call in the ninth inning of the Travelers' 8-6 loss to Tulsa on Wednesday.
Someone already posted this article in an area where it has relevance.