The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

I need a new chest protector, but that helmet looks great and I'm not trying to dish out 300 bucks for both. Does anyone wear the helmet? Is it comfortable?

Helmet vs mask should have been the question!

Your thoughts please!
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 10:34am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
I need a new chest protector, but that helmet looks great and I'm not trying to dish out 300 bucks for both. Does anyone wear the helmet? Is it comfortable?

Your thoughts please!
If you need a new chest protector, you'lve already answered your question. If there's one piece of equipment NOT to skimp on, it's that.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

I went with the Gerry Davis Diamond Chest Protector 2 years ago mainly because of the cost difference.

What are your thoughts on this chest protector? Did I waste my money?
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I went with the Gerry Davis Diamond Chest Protector 2 years ago mainly because of the cost difference.

What are your thoughts on this chest protector? Did I waste my money?
I had the older version of the GD Diamond Protector for many years. About 2 years ago I was doing a Legion game. I took a foul ball straight to the chest and the plastic ribs gave way and I ended up on the ground and the EMS had to rush me to the hospital. Doctors told me I was lucky to survive the arythmia (I have a heart condition to start with). When I got out of the hospital I ordered my WV Platinum. I would never do another game with any other chest protector!
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

I, too, got nailed with the same protector. I didn't go to the hospital, but I felt goofier than ususal for several day. In retrospect I should have been checked out.

I've got a standard WV, and a platinum I rotate with now. A hard shell it the only way to go, IMO.

Helmets are different. Better vision, hotter, louder when you take a shot and you can't hear as well. I only use mine with clam-shell type back stops, where balls can knonk you you on the top of your head. I've got the All Star that's made of fiberglass and Kevlar. It's ok, and like I said, different.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

I took a foul ball straight to the chest and the plastic ribs gave way and I ended up on the ground and the EMS had to rush me to the hospital.

Ozzy: Please just lie still and don't move until an attorney acquaintance of mine arrives. Where are you exactly?

He thanks you in advance.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Your thoughts please!
I have both the WV Platinum and the All-Star Helmet. The main selling points for me were safety. The WV Platinum is well constructed and fits me quite well (which is a good thing because I am on the thin side and most gear like this is too big). I much prefer the All-Star Helmets to the regular face mask, as the visibility (in my opinion anyway) is better, and I find that I can speak in a clearer fashion. There is plenty of venting in the helmet, so I don't find that it gets too hot, though I wouldn't want to wear a hat underneath it.

It's hard to say which one you should get first. Both are important; I would lean towards the chest protector first, and then the helmet soon thereafter, depending on the level of baseball you are working and the quality of your existing equipment.

I can't put a price on my own safety, but if you're working higher level baseball, you may want to seriously consider the cost as an investment in your own health.

Good luck.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
I took a foul ball straight to the chest and the plastic ribs gave way and I ended up on the ground and the EMS had to rush me to the hospital.

Ozzy: Please just lie still and don't move until an attorney acquaintance of mine arrives. Where are you exactly?

He thanks you in advance.
Naw, the protector had seen its better days. I should have gotten rid of it long before that happened.
Old Tue Mar 01, 2005, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestCoastUmpire
I can't put a price on my own safety, but if you're working higher level baseball, you may want to seriously consider the cost as an investment in your own health.
I agree. If you are worried about spending money, $300 will be a lot cheaper than your hospital bill.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Wink

What's the problem? I have both a West Vest and an All Star helmet. Chest protector is definitely a higher priority.

Ed H
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

$300 will be a lot cheaper than your hospital bill.

Are you sure?

I'm looking at a bill of mine from Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City:

4½ days semi-private care @ $10.50: $47.25
Laboratory services: $11.00
Drugs: $1.65
Penicillin: $2.20
X-Ray: $15.00

Total: $77.10

This figure represents the entire cost of the treatment. No co-pay, no insurance, no HMO. Four and a half days in a rather famous hospital, and for $77.10 I was paid in full.

Let's see. The date on the bill is . . . February 4, 1953.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

grey

Hehehehe,

Nicely done.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

When I started college baseball three years ago, I had to upgrade my equipment. I used the standard mask for a long time, but made the switch to the All-star mask. BOY..what a difference. The fit between the mask and the WV took some time to get familiar with, but now I move with greater ease and trust in my equipment.
Old Wed Mar 02, 2005, 01:18pm
M.A.S.H.

Thumbs up

Nice one grey!!
Old Thu Mar 03, 2005, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule

I'm looking at a bill of mine from Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City:

4½ days semi-private care @ $10.50: $47.25
Laboratory services: $11.00
Drugs: $1.65
Penicillin: $2.20
X-Ray: $15.00

Total: $77.10
I wonder what that bill would run today, with no insurance. I'm guessing $1500/day for the room, maybe $2K for labwork, $800 for drugs, and $400 for "radiological services," assuming that you had an x-ray not MRI, CT, PET scan, etc.

What's that come to, about ten grand?

Experiencing that "hospital fresh" smell? Priceless.