The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 17, 2004, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

A few weeks ago this topic was widely discussed. I would like to say I appreciate everyone’s input and opinion on it as this just happened to me this past weekend.

In a pony level (12 - 13 yo) game a batter didn't appreciate where my outside zone was and after a called strike three he drew a line in the dirt. At that point I ejected him.

The interesting things I observed from this was 1) none of the coaches said a word or argued, 2) not a peep from parents, 3) all the other players on BOTH teams now know it's a no-no, 4) his teammates said he had it coming (not sure why) and 5) he apologized after the game – not that I was expecting it or anything.

The other interesting thing is until reading the post I wasn’t aware this is such a taboo thing to do. Also, I didn't think I'd toss a kid automatically. But in seeing the results it had and the knowing that some other umpire won't have to deal with it, I certainly won't hesitate to toss again if it occurs.

Thanks everyone!
Old Mon May 17, 2004, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Job well done.

Yes, 12-13 year olds can be very humble. And he probably won't do that for the rest of his baseball playing days!

thank-you.