View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 07, 2012, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I find it completely unfathomable that a professional umpire at the highest level would just blatantly commit one of the most egregious of umpiring sins. Could it possibly be something that they are being instructed to do to counter the potential expansion of instant replay?

... But to call Time and immedately overrule another umpire's call without that umpire asking for help? That's stuff a rookie volunteer umpire in a local Little League coach-pitch game might do just once before he/she is taught the error of his/her way. I would never believe it would happen in a pro
I understand your point(s), as well as others, (except for mbcrowder)

If I had to guess here, I would say that Scott Barry saw a "gross" miss and tried to keep Jordan Baker, a young AAA/MLB guy from getting into a "Tim Welke" sh!thouse (and possibly all over SportsCenter) Yes, he definitely did NOT follow the protocol, but I do think he had good intentions despite going about it in untraditional fashion.

The big question is what if that was his Crew Chief making the call @ 1B - would he have done the same? One thing I learned from Welke's misfortunes is that if a call is BLATANTLY missed because of information he/she did not see, somebody else on the crew MUST step up, solicited or not, and make it right. I don't care if its a crew chief, rookie or whoever - in rare circumstances like these, we must put our egos aside and fix the situation because, at the end of the day, these mishaps will make Umpiring as a whole look bad.

One last point... while Baker may not have liked HOW Barry went about the whole thing, he probably did buy him a beverage after the game and said thanks for saving my a$$ in the end. If you've done any type of televised games with multiple replay angles... you know exactly what I mean. Most here have not so I'm sure I'll get piled on...