View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 06, 2012, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the comments. Heck yeah it's intense at times, but not in a malignant way. We have 6 teams in the league this year, and it's been one of those years where there was not a marquee dominant team but rather a bunch of teams running neck and neck. And trust me, they are very aware of the score at all times. It's coach pitch (age is 7-9 with a handful of 6 year olds). I saw a 9 year old kid bounce one of those semi-hard "level 5" training baseballs off the center field fence the other day. In years past, we've definitely had a lot of dandelion pickers, but man they have really improved as a whole group. We make sure they have a good time, and I keep telling them "guys, this is the time of your life, enjoy it". I just hope they someday look back and see that after they progress into the competitiveness of the upper levels and life itself. They constantly bug me throughout the game with "what's the score, do we get to bat again, i need to go the bathroom, etc." Then, after the game, they all go to the playground and have fun, no matter what color jersey they're wearing.

As for the comment about when WE were kids--heck yeah I agree. We didn't have ipods, xboxes, six zillion TV channels, etc. My dad bought us a wooden bat and one baseball. And we taught OURSELVES how to play in the front yard. Where there was an argument on a play, we learned how to work it out among ourselves. I honestly think the 9-12 year old Little League teams from 25 years ago in my community could demolish the teams now. We lived to play ball.

Last edited by Mountaincoach; Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 02:10pm.