View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 04, 2012, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

And as far as the OP goes, after reading your last response....how can we tell if the umpire made the wrong or right call??? You now say you didn't think there was INT yet you would want the B/R to be called out also? I'm thinking you are wondering why can't there be an out on the B/R in this situation regardless of the actions of the other runner. On edit, you did say that.

That's the way the INT rule usually works. Dead ball, runner who interfered is out, all runners return to last base occupied at the time of INT, B/R gets first base. The only case of getting the B/R out is IF, in the judgment of the umpire, the INT is an obvious attempt to prevent a double play and occurs before the baserunner is put out. This can't be the case, I'm assuming, by your words, you "don't even think there was INT in the first place."

This is the misunderstanding among parents and coaches on this rule. I hope this explanation has helped you.

As umpires, we are expected to be perfect our first game and get better every time out thereafter.

Last edited by LIUmp; Mon Jun 04, 2012 at 05:37pm.