View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Obviously HTBT, but IMHO, very unlikely. There would need to be literally ZERO chance of a play for this to not be interference. If F6 is trying to field the batted ball, she has the right of way.

I think for me to rule the other way, it would have to be after F6 obviously knew she had no play and gave up. Others may differ, but if there's ANY benefit of doubt here it's going to the fielder.
Factor in the FED definition of Initial Play on a batted ball; it includes the phrase "reasonable chance".

Whether stated in ASA or not, the fielders just can't be blindly protected every time they head in the direction of a batted ball. Look at ASA 8-8.C, and FED 8-8-3; in both, the runner is not out if (OK, applies to multiple fielders attempting) contacts one that cannot make an out. So, you are looking at these as isolated rules that can't be taken together; so that if a SINGLE fielder chasing cannot reasonably make an out, but contacts the runner, you would have interference solely on the word "attempting"?

While not necessarily in love with the FED definition and the need to define initial play, I think they got the "reasonable chance" part right in the definition.

I believe there have been such discussions in ASA, too; but the people I have heard discuss it don't think there is need to further refine what they think should already be understood (even if it isn't). Not the first time they have chosen not to to clarify wording that is ambiguous if taken literally.