View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Initial Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by softballaddict View Post
Let me first say I saw this through Daddy goggles not my umpire goggles. FED rules, 0 out R1 on 2b, R2 on 1b, F6 playing maybe a step in back of base line. Sharply hit ball up the middle, maybe 3ft to F6 side of 2B. R1 and F6 run into each other. From view in stands, I thought ball was past F6 and she had no play on the ball anyway, and should have been OBS. BU call R1 out for interference. Fans on our side go nuts. I realize this is HTBT territory and I try to be objective, but any chance this could have been OBS? I do ASA and couple other alphabets but not FED.
FED has an additional protection for the defense that ASA does not have. It's called "initial play". In the OP, lets assume that F6 was playing the ball and it deflected off of her glove. If the ball is within a step and a reach the defense is still protected. In ASA, this would be considered a deflected ball and interference would have to be intentional. So the ball could be behind F6 and the runner called out for interference. If the ball got by her without a deflection I doubt I would call interference. But it is a HTBT as you say. I could see OBS.