View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 17, 2009, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Somehow, I thought that the highlighted info WAS your point.
Actually the main point was "90%+ of JV will be at 43' this spring [NFHS] and back at 40' come the summer." [ASA] To better state it:

NFHS serves girls ages 12 through 18 with basically a single set of rules, while ASA can and does make distinctions by age group and other divisions (e.g. Gold). This can lead to additional issues for the players (mostly pitchers) over and above the usual differences in rules between the organizations.

Quote:
This IS a different issue. However, as has already been mentioned, a solution would be for the girls to play up, if that is their preference, or for TD's to allow a 43' pitching distance for the tournaments for the age groups in question, if there is enough interest shown on the part of the participants. [...] So, I guess the real issue for the 14U and 16U playing ASA is this; which is greater, the interest to play softball throughout the season as merely an adjunct to HS softball, or to play the season with the aim of playing in ASA state and national tournaments?!
Yes, those are certainly posibilities.

Quote:
Remember, ASA rules only apply to championship play.
A favorite quote of Irish, however not EXACTLY true in practice. They are a starting point before modification of the TDs, andthe TD's are, and should be, loathe to modify them. It also isn't an option on qualifiers, where the rules may not be modified.

NFHS rules can likewise be modified by the local authorities (like our state's insistance on not having appeals) and could mandate handling of middle school or JV in certain ways.

However, it all boils down to there are tradeoffs no matter what. I think the old situation restricting the 43' pitching plate to 18U Gold meant fewer girls would be "stradling the fence" and those in that situation were better able to handle it than a 13 year old.

43' for high school ball will undoubtedly increase offense and that's what was desired. ASA is following suit for 16U, which I think is a good thing given the NFHS move. I also believe that ASA is right in keeping 40' for 14U. But... there will be consequences.