Thread: IRS 1040 Form
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Go to a CPA, not a table in Wal-Mart, not somebody with a character waving to you on the highway, not someone with a clever TV commercial. Check if any umps in your association are CPAs, if they don't do tax work ask for a recommendation or referral.

It will give you piece of mind. They stand behind you and they can become a valuable partner.

A CPA might be more expensive, but do your homework. My CPA does my taxes for less than what the "Taxes R us" type company that did my sisters for, and I have a much more complicated tax situation than she does. She only has her 1040, 1099int and paid $100 more than I did with my taxes. Last year I paid for her taxes to be done as a B-day gift at my CPA and she really thanked me. This year she's on her own.

Another thing to remember is that the costs of doing your taxes are deductible.

No, the amount of money we make as an umpire even if you didn't report it probably isn't enough to trigger an audit. Heck, I think I've only ever received one 1099 ever as I hardly do enough with 1 organization to merit receiving one. But it's good to know you are being taken care of professionally. Teams/Schools/Leagues hire us because were professionals and know what we're doing and they count on us to do our job correctly. The same goes with hiring a good CPA.