View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_NV
Anybody got a NFHS Casebook play to back this up? I'm fine with using all of the other great "unofficial" books that are out there, but if I'm going to have to hang my hat on it either way, I need it from an official source like the Fed casebook or an NCAA A.R.

I'm not sold either way quite yet, but I do know that there are many many officials out there who believe that "Take the penalty out of the equation, and whatever happened is what you do with the clock (either snap or RFP)"

I've always thought that that was a little too simple but then I'm a "letter of the rule" kind of guy when it comes to debating things like this and who's got the next pitcher is riding on who's right.

I like Bob M.'s rationale above but then again, on the other hand we all need to really ensure that we don't read too much into the "letter of the rule" either.

So long story short, is there a Fed casebook play that handles clock status on this?

thanks
3.4.2.D is the closest we have.
K11 punts the ball from a fourth and 10 situation. R1 catches the kick and returns 10 yards. During the down, but prior to the catch, K3 holds R2. R accepts the foul.
Ruling: After enforcement, the clock starts on the ready-for-play signal. (3-4-2b3)

This situation give the ball back to A/K as in the original question and since neither team was awarded a 1st down after a legal kick, we start the clock on the RFP cuz it became dead inbounds. I think that is a similar scenario to the original play in which you want a case play to back what we are saying. Without the penalty, we are on the snap, but cuz of the penalty we are not.