View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M.
REPLY: Winkley...the clock stopped for an official's timeout because of two reasons: (1) there was a foul during the down, and (2) there was a change of possession during the down. However, the down did not end because of either of these two items. The down apparently ended because the B runner was tackled. Since the reason the clock stopped and the down ended are not the same, you can't use 3-4-2b-3 as justification for starting the clock on the snap.

By far, the most common misconception about when to start the clock is the myth that if there is a COP during the down, the clock starts on the snap. That's just not entirely true. The clock will start on the snap if you award B a new series (i.e. give him a first down and reset the chains). But since an accepted penalty in your play causes B to lose the ball he gained in the COP, the clock will probably start on the ready. Since you didn't tell us exactly how the play ended, it's impossible to say for sure.

There aren't too many things that cause the clock to stop and the down to end simultaneously, but here are some:
(a) an incomplete pass
(b) ball is out of bounds (loose or in runner's possession)
(c) score or a touchback
(d) fair catch

Help me guys if I've forgotten any
Thank you, Bob. That explanation helps a lot.

My rationale was that I was thinking about what the result of the play would have been had the penalty not occurred. We would have had a first down for B, thus the clock would start on the snap.

Now I understand that there is no "apparent change of possession" in high school ball. B was not actually awarded the first down, so the status of the ball was a completed pass(?), causing the clock to start on the ready.