Thread: Gorilla Arm
View Single Post
Old Wed Feb 28, 2007, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

We had this last night in a game...true gorilla arm. Home team pitcher comes out in top of second, just after they scored two touchdowns in the bottom of the first (yup, 14 runs) on a completely overmatched team. He was really hyped up, and working quickly. First batter gets a bloop single. F1, in the stretch, is really amped up now, and has the non-glove hand (with ball) swinging like a pendulum. First pitch a foul ball that hits the fence and comes out between the plate and mound. Partner and I (I'm BU) converge...he acts like he's getting the ball and checking it, I'm "dusting" off the rubber. We remind F1 he's not in the major leagues and his arm can't be swinging like it is, or it will be a balk.

So, warned him in this situation, with a game that was totally out of hand already. The opposing pitcher, who had only begun pitching (ever) two weeks prior, already had an illegal pitch called on him, and honestly, we let him get away with probably a dozen total just because he absolutely didn't understand what we were trying to tell him. However, in most situations, we're calling balks on the "gorilla arm."