Thread: Illegal screen?
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 05, 2007, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

If B2 stops in front of A1 and they were running in the same path, use Rule 10-6-3(d)--"A player who screens shall not...When both opponents are moving in exactly the same path and direction, the player behind is responsible if contact is made if the player in front slows up or stops and the player behind overruns his/her opponent". If that's what happened, then the correct call is no call for a legal screen. If A1 tries to plow through B2's screen though, then the correct call is a foul on A1.
(b) is what happened...and I booted the call. I called an illegal screen because A1 was right behind B2 and didn't have time to stop.. A1 tried to avoid B2, but there was some contact.

I've seen kids screen a player directly behind by slowing up, but I haven't seen someone do this by jump stopping at close to full speed. I remember thinking that it was almost a safety issue, as A1 was that close.

The bottom line, I booted it. But the good news, I learned something and hopefully won't boot that one again.