View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not big on making a specific formula for accepting a clear dead ball appeal, but here's a case where we cannot accept the appeal; yet. First, it was a bad live ball appeal which made the ball dead, but, then we cannot accept or rule on a dead ball appeal until all running responsibilities are completed. Since we have an awarded base as a result of a ball being taken out of the field, we have to 1) hesitate and allow a runner to complete running, so I guess we have to allow R1, if s/he is so inclined, to attempt to retrace steps and touch 3rd (although that would not eliminate the out on appeal); then, 2) we must award bases as a result of the ball being carried into dead ball territory. Then, and not before, can we honor a dead ball appeal. At that point, I would probably say something like "now, what is it you were saying before?".

All this according to ASA POE#1. I agree that this is standing on ceremony, as the outcome is predetermined, but, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.