View Single Post
Old Thu Aug 04, 2005, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
FWIW

Quote:
Originally posted by EMD
At lower level baseball if the batter swings I point with my right hand and say "Attempt, batter out." Say it so thet batter & cathcer will hear you, and the catcher will know that he is out. If something odd happens after that you, the catcher & batter know better.

If I am working the plate with a jr. umpire, or someone who is having a bad day this seems to help them from getting themselves in trouble while on the bases.
May I offer these suggestions:
1) say "Yes he did" instead of "Attempt, batter out." only do so on a check situation, when the pitch is not a strike.
2) In the sitch that started the thread a simple "batter's out" will accomplish the same thing as "Attempt, batter out."

Teach the young ones the standards and what is right. Your intent is good, but if they progress beyond your local sandlot game, their incorrect mechanics will limit their future.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass